The Janiculum Promenade, from which one of the most striking views of central Rome can be enjoyed, consists of two large avenues lined with plane trees, bordering the Villa Aurelia, which come together at the Garibaldi Square and continue in a single road that descends in hairpin bends to the church of Sant'Onofrio, built to complete the Promenade in 1939.

The area, scene of the heroic events of the fighters for the Roman Republic in 1849, was transformed in 1883 by the new Italian institutions into a public promenade and dedicated to the memory of the Defense of Rome. At the edges of the avenues are placed the busts of distinguished Garibaldians who fought for the defense of Rome in 1849.