Borgo and Parione
Where we are
Districts to see
It is one of the few Roman villas that preserves unaltered 18th-century stylistic features in a highly valuable ensemble.
The casino nobile, the main nucleus of the villa, is characterized by a central body flanked by two symmetrical side wings surmounted by turrets; it is currently home to the Quadriennale di Roma, one of the most prestigious contemporary art institutions of the 20th century, which allows visitors to consult its precious archives and library.
The main building with a rectangular plan, stands at the main axis of the park that connects the entrance with a monumental nymphaeum, only partly restored, through a scenographic system of fountains.
Pietro Francesco Garoli is responsible for the frescoes in the gallery on the second floor, rediscovered during the restoration of the building begun in 1985, depicting some of the family's estates in Montefeltro, enclosed between balustrades and painted columns, according to a neo-Renaissance compositional solution.
In the 19th century, the villa passed to the Falconieri family, which had the Casino renovated, creating, among other things, a "painted salon alla pompeiana" on the first floor and a service building next to the main one.
In 1902 the villa was purchased by Baroness Caterina von Scheyns, who had a mosaic floor and a tempera decoration with plant figures introduced in the hallway. In the early 20th century the villa became a true international salon, open to distinguished guests, such as the future Pope John XXIII.
The municipality of Rome purchased the villa in 1978 and oversaw its restoration. Between 1998 and 2000 it rearranged the Casino nobile, which now houses the Quadriennale di Roma